Friday, December 18, 2009

The Story


Ok, it seems as though everyone and his or her brother has a blog these days, and why should I be different? My husband had a blog a couple of years ago that chronicled his HIV/TB relief efforts in Kenya, but I don't have any travels that adventurous going on any time soon... and, to be frank, I don't think my day to day life is that interesting...

... so, what could I possibly blog about?

... I do have a Ph.D. in French literature, but I don't think that many people would enjoy a blog about phenomenology or deconstruction. A few, but not many.

I clearly love books, but what could I blog about that might interest other people? ... "hmmm...", I said, and then forgot about it for a while. Then, I have to admit I saw Julie and Julia and thought about how I could incorporate books into a blog. Then, the flash of brilliance: a friend (hi Christy!) and I have been reading our way slowly through the Times 100 list. Not necessarily because it's the best or most inclusive (certainly not the latter), but because it was the list from which we had both read about the same amount of books before starting our adventure. So, if Julie can blog her way through Julia Child's cookbook, I can blog my way through a book list.

So, I intend on blogging as I read books... hopefully, as I finish them. I think this is a task I can accomplish. Indeed.

Now, for the list. Time critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo chose what they consider to be the best English-language novels from 1923 (the year Time went into publication) to present (the list is from 2005). While, as a French lit person, I wish there were non-English novels on here, I accepted the challenge from Christy. There will be more lists later. Both of us are such dedicated readers that we will probably continue until we are senile. But I digress... if you have any more questions about why what is on the list is on the list, visit this link. Given the size of the list, Christy decided today that she is calling it the Great Book Throw-Down, so I stole it for the name of my blog. But, to avoid stealing intellectual property, I give credit where credit is due: thanks Christy!

Our first task was to set up a table of the books and to mark which books we had each read. Then, we were to try to independently catch up with each other while reading a book together. As I was checking off books, or not checking off books, I realized how much I still have left to read. Sometimes I thought the list made me look ill read, but I also realize how many books I have read not on the list, some of them by authors on the list.

The plan is to blog about the books I already read in one fell swoop (or so) and then to blog the remaining books as I finish.

So, here's my part of the list (I'll keep it updated!)... the books I have read, and the books I have not.    I hope you enjoy the ride.



26 read
75 left to go


1 comment:

  1. Yay for Amy's starting a blog. Now she can add English literary criticism to the list of her many talents. I look forward to the reviews. Possibly this could end up being the New York Review of Books version of the top 100 books. That would be awesome! All the advantages of bathroom reading while enhaicng one's bibliography to look ever so intellectual at those cocktail parties. Go Amy go!!!!

    ReplyDelete